Choosing Best Motorbike to Enjoy Memorable Vietnam Adventure ToursWhen you travel around Vietnam adventure tours with motorbikes are worth trying at least once during your lifetime. Regarding buying a right motorbike in Vietnam, we would like to share with you some hints, tips, and information.
1. Get all necessary licenses and documentation ready
Riding legally in Vietnam means that you must get a valid Vietnam motorcycle license. Besides, you must be in the ownership of other papers for the motorcycle so that you can ride on it legally during your adventure activities in Vietnam, and buy insurance which is quite cheap from the same agent where you got your license.
2. Finding out a suitable motorbike
To achieve this seemingly difficult task, it is a good idea to check online at such websites as Craigslist or Travelswop. They give you a lot of information about most popular bikes available in Vietnam. Also, choosing the ones with a good online reputation can save you gambling and buying the wrong bike from a backpacker.
What is more, roadside mechanics can be a good source to help you choose the right scooter for your Vietnam adventure tours. However, you might have to pay them an amount of commission. And you are advised not to buy secondhand bikes from a dealer, which doesn’t guarantee anything. Make sure you check the bike thoroughly before buying even from someone who appears honest and reputable.
3. Know what your budget is
Regarding budget, getting a suitable steed of $300 US is advisable for your motorcycling Vietnam tours. You really had better not spend much more on something secondhand because it will generally be overpriced. If you have the appropriate Vietnamese motorbike license, you can take bikes of larger capacity bikes or else ones in the 50 to a 125cc range is suitable.
4. Inspect carefully
You may be suggested a lot of motorbikes. At that time, to make a decision, you have to take a general but careful look over the bike: Does it look clean? Is anything hanging off?
In details, you should check every single part of the motorbike before buying it for cycle tours in Vietnam:
- The frame: Is it straight? Any suspicious looking welding? It is acceptable if there is a small amount of surface rust is OK but have a good poke at areas but the pen going through anywhere means it is not meant for your adventure tours around Vietnam.
- The tires: What are the tires like? Do they have tread on them? Are they inflated? You should look out closely at the sides of the tire for any cracks or bits missing.
- The electronics: It is advisable to check everything twice, front light (dipped and main beam), backlight (headlight on and brake light), indicators, horn, starter motor (if fitted).
- The suspension: Bounce the bike to check whether there are any strange noises and press down to check whether or not the suspension returns to the extended position.
5. But wait, take a try!
The result might be good after your thorough check, but you have to take a trying ride on that motorbike. In this way, you can make sure that all the gears work smoothly, brakes work, there are no strange noises, the acceleration is smooth and progressive.
If you find any minor issues then politely tell the seller about them and factor them into your offer price. Here is a small price guide you should remember while taking your Vietnam adventure tours (in VND).
- Front tire – 120,000
- Rear tire – 150,000
- Oil change – 80,000
- Small wiring fix e.g. headlight not working – 20,000
- Rear wheel hub – 250,000
- Wheel bearings (per wheel) – 50,000
- Indicator – 30,000
- Inline fuel filter and carb clean – 70,000
Last but not least, to make your purchase of a bike before Vietnam adventure holidays, you have to make sure you get the appropriate paperwork with the bike. You should receive a blue ownership card (usually laminated) when you hand over the cash, ask to see it beforehand and make sure all the details match the bike in question. Otherwise, you might be stopped by the police and charged with a hefty bribe, not mention the fact that your bike will be confiscated.
Vietnam adventure tours might be fantastic, but before that, you have to pay attention to steps of choosing the right motorbike. That process can be time and energy-consuming but somehow it can be another interesting journey.
Recommended & Reviewed by
Being a responsible eco tour operator is at the heart of what ACTIVETRAVEL ASIA is all about. From the start, we have been committed to offering low-impact tours that benefit traveler and host alike. We work with local communities, businesses and individuals to develop sustainable tourism opportunities that help local economies while minimizing negative environmental and cultural impacts.